Thursday, November 19, 2015

A Little Peace




Today is the anniversary of my mother's passing and I decided to share this little story with you. Many years ago I brought home a peace lily plant from my mother's funeral. About a year later the leaves started falling off, but I could not bring myself to throw the barren plant away. It sat for a whole year NOT GROWING and when I finally decided to throw it out - THE VERY NEXT DAY it grew into something completely different! Each year it seems to stay barren until I have the thought that I'm going to throw it out, and then it grows into something completely different again before I can do so. I finally took that as a sign that Mama did not want me to throw the plant out, so I vowed that the barren plant would stay put so it can grow whenever it decides to grow. I don't even water it anymore, it just grows on its own. The picture above is what it grew into once (I don't even know what kind of plant this is). It used to freak me out a little because it kept happening, but now I look forward to the surprise of seeing what it will grow into next! Little things like the smell of her perfume, her handwriting, her favorite snack, even a plant - these are some of things that bring me a little peace and many fond memories :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment