Saturday, May 12, 2018

Mother's Day: Stories about Mom



Mother's Day is a special day set aside for us to show appreciation to our Mother's for all they have done (although we know mothers should be appreciated every day)! And for those who don't know, Mother's Day is Sunday, May 13, 2018.

I started thinking about things that I would've loved to ask my mother about her life and about her mother, but since she is no longer here that is something that I am unable to do. So I opted for the next best thing - "Deddy"! I got my recorder out and headed to "Deddy's" house so he could tell me all about my mother and his. We had a good interview and these recordings will be stored in our family archives. It's amazing what things come back to your mind during a casual conversation and other things you get to learn. It was a great way to share and capture family history and also acknowledge our mothers.

So for those who may still be stressing about what to do for Mother's Day, I encourage you to spend some time learning more about your mother while you still have her. You could even get her a nice journal and encourage her to write about her life and you can discuss it with her. If you don't have your mother, that's ok too, you can spend time learning more about her from others who knew her.

What you'll need:
  • A quiet space for discussion
  • Plenty of time for discussion and recording  
  • Pen and paper for taking notes 
  • A recording device (phone, memo recorder, camcorder, etc.) 
Questions to get started (I used these questions as a starting point with "Deddy" to learn more about his mother, but you can tailor to suit your interview.):
  • What was your mother's full name? Did she have any nicknames? 
  • What were her parents names? 
  • When was she born (month/date/year)? 
  • Where was she born? Is this where she grew up? 
  • How many siblings did she have? Was she the youngest? 
  • Tell me about some of her traits
  • Which of her traits do you think you inherited from her? 
  • Is there anything you wish you could ask your mother? 
  • Share a fond memory of your mother

Happy Mother's Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment