Wednesday, November 18, 2015

What We Learned from the Family Photos Indexing Event

I hope everyone had a great time participating in the Family Photos Indexing Event last Friday! I know my family and I had a great time! I've been asked to share some things we learned/took away from that experience and to also post my "how to" video for those who missed it. So here goes...

  1. While those Micron pens I told you all about write really well and are supposed to be great for archiving, they are not smudge-proof. We learned that the hard way :-/ So now we're in search of another kind of pen that will endure through generations to come.
  2. Start with one stack at a time. Everyone who had a pen had a stack of photos, and some who didn't have pens also had a stack a photos. Needless to say various ones got off track from the task at hand. Some spent more time going down memory lane instead of indexing (smile)! This also turned into a positive because it opened up discussions about family connections and family events of times past. But next time we will probably work on one stack at a time collectively to make sure we are indexing more photos :-)
  3. There's something for everyone to do from sorting, to identifying, to indexing. 
  4. There are decades worth of memories captured and we didn't index them all in one night. We hope to have more indexing nights in the future.  
  5. My "Deddy" said that he will try to remember where he got those handy and spacious photo storage boxes so that I can pass that information on to you all. When I know, you'll know!
  6. We ALWAYS enjoy family time! 
  7. In case you missed my video, click here to view it now!
I hope we have inspired you to go ahead and start planning a day for you and your family to get together and index your family photos!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like you guys had a great time and learned something along the way. I love the part where you said this family project opened up discussions about your family/family connections. Great post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome and thank you for checking it out! We had a great time! The discussions about family are so important. I think oftentimes we assume that people know certain facts about family, but after discussing we find out that they don't know as much as we assumed they did. The grandkids had lots of questions so we've got to make sure they are as well versed in the family history as many of the older ones are.

    ReplyDelete