Friday, August 7, 2015

Recipe Reflections



On this Family Friday, I’d like to talk a little bit about recipes. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that some of the best memories are created over food. I can remember my excitement as a kid when my mother would bake cakes. I would sit on the counter or curled up in a chair at the kitchen table, patiently waiting to lick the cake batter from the bowl – and the beaters! The vanilla batter was my favorite! I remember how fun it was when one of my sisters would whip out her junior cookbook and make us snickerdoodles, brownies, or some other sweet treat. Then my dad, who also likes to create masterpieces in the kitchen – gathering us around the stove as we made our own personal pizzas out of bagels topped with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni – the best snack! And a most honorable mention to my aunts for the homemade rolls, pound cakes, and other goodies. All these recipes take me back to simpler times and fond memories.

After my mom passed, I think many of us found ourselves longing for certain meals she used to prepare. The dilemma we ran into was that no one seemed to have any of the recipes! My sisters and I would be on the phone for hours trying to piece the recipes together based on what we each remembered of the meals. For the most part I think we’ve been able to replicate everything; although the salmon croquettes were perfected through trial and error (I won’t name the person who provided the bad data for that recipe, but you know who you are…lol).

While my sisters and I have primarily assumed the task of preparing meals for family functions, I still don’t know whether the recipes have been written down anywhere. I may have to plan a day for all of us to sit down and write out all of the recipes, and also make sure that we each have copies.

Having family recipes has its benefits and here are a few: 
  1. Keeps family memories alive.
  2. Allows you to spend quality time bonding with your family, as you all recreate those meals.
  3. A keepsake to pass down for generations.
  4. Allows you to share foods you enjoy with your family (I know this one goes without saying…smile!).


I’d love to hear from you! Share which foods bring back fun family memories and why!

If you find that you don’t have any family recipes, today’s a great day to create some! So grab your family and get in the kitchen!



Happy Family Friday!!! 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite food memory is when my mom would make pound cakes. Me and my brother would watch her pour the batter into the pans then we would fight over who would get to lick the bowl. I always enjoy watching my mother cook. She takes so much pride in everything she makes and she is the reason why I know how to cook. She still makes those pound cakes till this day and if I'm around I still lick the bowl!

    ReplyDelete